Southern Nevada’s Women Leaders Announce Generous Donation on Giving Tuesday
LAS VEGAS – November 30, 2021– United Way of Southern Nevada’s (UWSN) Women United is proud to announce a $195,000 community investment in six local nonprofits providing support to women and families in Southern Nevada. The investment is a continuation of the 2021 UWSN Community Impact Grant program which began with the generous support of philanthropist and Amazon co-founder MacKenzie Scott. UWSN’s Women United announced this generous donation on Giving Tuesday to encourage Southern Nevadans to give back to the community this holiday season.
“As our most steadfast supporters, UWSN’s Women United continues to create meaningful change in the lives of women and families across the valley through their legacy of community investments,” said UWSN President and CEO, Julian High. “This Giving Tuesday, we encourage the community to embody the generous spirit of our Women United members by giving back to the place we all call home.”
These six organizations were awarded $195,000 over one year as follows:
- After-School All-Stars- $26,750 for the 2021-2022 After-School All-Stars Program which will provide 70 students with tutoring, after-school activities, career exploration activities, and financial literacy training.
- Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada- $58,000 for the 2021-2022 Tropas Exploradoras Program which will provide 60 female students, who speak Spanish as a primary language, access to leadership, community service, and after-school life skills and enrichment programs in eight Girl Scout troops at elementary schools across Southern Nevada.
- Girls on the Run Las Vegas – $26,250 for the 2021-2022 Girls on the Run Las Vegas Scholarship Program which will provide scholarships to 150 female students in under-resourced elementary or middle schools, giving them access to an after-school life skills and enrichment program to produce positive youth development outcomes including physical, psychological, and social assets, and health-promoting behaviors and outcomes.
- Junior Achievement of Southern Nevada- $24,000 for the 2021-2022 Empowerment Initiative, which will provide 800 students in elementary, middle, and high school the opportunity to participate in business, citizenship, economics, financial literacy, entrepreneurship, ethics, and workforce readiness courses to help prepare for their careers post-graduation.
- Spread the Word Nevada- $35,000 for the 2021-2022 Readers In Training Program which will provide 75 children and families with new books and age-appropriate literacy tips and tools mailed directly to their homes to jumpstart their love of books and to build home libraries.
- TULIPS- $25,000 for the 2021-2022 TULIPS Program which will provide 100 young girls and women spaces to advocate, collaborate, and create change to inspire the next generation of leaders. This program gives access to professional mentors who will provide guidance, friendship, and other support to help further the program participant’s educational aspirations, career opportunities, and life choices.
With a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion, the recipients of funding were selected by the Women United Project Funding Committee in partnership with UWSN’s Board of Directors. Programs were evaluated on the merits of their submitted proposal. Each program was reviewed by four reviewers using a standardized rubric included with the application packet. A rigorous fiscal review was also conducted. This community investment brings UWSN’s community partners to a total of 44 nonprofit agencies for the 2021-2022 fiscal year.
The Women United community investment is a part of United Way of Southern Nevada’s Everyone Deserves Hope campaign, a community-wide effort to raise funds to help increase support for those struggling to provide for their families. Leading the campaign is UWSN’s Presenting Sponsor, The Tapestry Foundation, and Angel Hero sponsor The Siegel Group (through their charity, Siegel Cares), along with sponsors NV Energy, Barclays US Consumer Bank, Kichler, and Charles Schwab.
UWSN’s Women United members inspire local women to join the worldwide effort to create and inspire the female leaders of tomorrow. To learn more about how you can join UWSN’s Women United visit uwsn.org/womenunited. To get involved and help UWSN provide even more help, visit uwsn.org/hope or text “HOPELV” to 313131. For companies who want to be a part of this community-wide effort, contact Fundraising@uwsn.org.