United Way of Southern Nevada (UWSN) is committed to exemplary stewardship of donor funds. UWSN is governed by a local volunteer board of directors whose members are respected community and business leaders. Each year, a volunteer-led finance committee comprised of CPAs, accountants and corporate leaders review the annual budget and internal operational procedures. In addition, on an annual basis, an independent certified public accounting firm conducts an audit in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards. Annually, the audit confirms UWSN is in compliance and void of material weaknesses with regard to internal controls, which is the highest rating possible. We are committed to the highest levels of professionalism and transparency in everything we do.
United Way Worldwide is engaged in nearly 1,800 communities with more than 40 countries and territories. Each United Way is governed by a local board of volunteers. Since our local beginning more than 60 years ago, the accountability standards of United Way of Southern Nevada have been based upon the models of transparency and efficiency.
To operate under the umbrella of “United Way,” members must adhere to very strict membership requirements, including United Way Worldwide’s Standards of Excellence. These standards require participating United Ways to submit a detailed self-assessment biannually and detailed revenue and expense information yearly, plus an annual certification to very strict legal, governance, trademark, ethics, reporting, designation fee, and audit requirements.
United Way of Southern Nevada respects the privacy of donors and safeguards the confidentiality of information that the donor would reasonably expect to be private. Information learned by any representative of United Way of Southern Nevada about a donor or a donor’s assets, or philanthropic intentions shall be held in strict confidence by the staff, VP of Philanthropy, Campaign Managers, Committees, and the Board.
Donors who reach special recognition levels (Tocqueville Society) may be acknowledged and published in various UWSN publications and campaign materials. Donors at recognition levels may request to remain anonymous in these publications by indicating their wishes on their pledge card or by contacting United Way of Southern Nevada. UWSN will honor requests by donors to remain anonymous.
United Way of Southern Nevada does not sell, rent, or exchange its mailing lists of donors, prospective donors, interested parties, etc. UWSN will honor requests by donors to remain anonymous, have their names removed from mailing lists, or to restrict appeals. Information about donors, amounts of their gifts, and other information that should be private will not be made public.
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you personally, such as your name, address, telephone number, and email address. We collect and store the personally identifiable information that you have provided us. Here are some examples of ways in which we may collect your information.
- When you request information via one of the email addresses identified on our website or otherwise contact us in person, by phone or email, with a question. We may then collect your name, address and email in order to respond to that inquiry.
- We may collect your name, email address and other contact information if you register for an event.
- We may collect your name, email address, telephone number and payment information when you make a contribution, either on our website, over the phone or by mailing in a check.
The above list provides a sample of personal information that may be collected by United Way of Southern Nevada. From time to time, we may collect personal information from you in ways not described above.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
- We will not sell, trade, or share your personal information, collected on the website or through any other business activities with anyone else.
- We will not send you mailings on behalf of other organizations.
- We will only share your personal information if you give us specific permission to do so.
- We will collect payment information, billing address and other information necessary to process a donation or event registration.
- We will use your information to comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of others.
- We will use the personal information to protect against potential fraud. We may verify with third parties the information collected in the course of processing a gift, event registration or other donation. If you use a credit or debit card on the website, we may use card authorization and fraud screening services to verify that your card information and address matches the information that you supplied to us and that the card being used has not been reported lost or stolen.
What does United Way do?
United Way of Southern Nevada unites our community to improve people’s lives. With the support of a committed group of strategic partners, we create bold and positive change for Southern Nevada’s most vulnerable populations through innovation, leadership and collaboration. Your support goes directly back into the community to improve the lives of thousands of people in Southern Nevada and create the foundation for a better life for all.
You are helping to build a stronger Southern Nevada.
Your gift is an important part of the combined support of 20,000 donors, 2,000 volunteers, 300 companies and 400 agencies who are providing help where it is needed most and creating lasting impact in our community.
How can I contribute money to United Way?
You can donate online at uwsn.org/give or please call United Way at (702) 892-2300 to find out how you can help.
Why should I give to United Way rather than directly to an agency?
Community fundraising costs would more than double if every agency had to raise the funds United Way provides. By contributing to our collective impact efforts, your dollars help build a stronger future for the entire community. With one gift to United Way, you support a variety of programs and initiatives making an impact in Southern Nevada.
How can I volunteer my time to help others?
United Way’s Volunteer Engagement Team can help design a life changing volunteer opportunity. With over 2000 volunteers and year round activities, we can connect you with a project or cause that is meaningful to you and your department, corporation, or convention. Visit us at uwsn.org/volunteer or call 702-892-2300 to make a difference.
What if I feel pressured to give?
Contributions to United Way are voluntary and your personal decision. We do not support any form of pressure on donors to give or requirements regarding how much to give.
Are United Way donations tax-deductible?
United Way of Southern Nevada is a federally registered 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation. As such, donations to the United Way are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by an individual’s or corporation’s circumstances. Those contributing through payroll deduction in their workplace should keep a copy of their signed pledge card and maintain their last pay stub of the tax year or Form W-2 from their employer that summarizes the amount withheld for the United Way during their tax year. In the event that goods or services of more than a nominal value are received in exchange for a gift (such as buying an auction item), only the donation in excess of the value of the good or service is considered to be tax deductible. Donors are encouraged to consult their own tax professionals to determine the extent to which their donations are tax-deductible in their own circumstances.
What happened to accredited agencies?
United Way of Southern Nevada discontinued the accreditation process as of April 26, 2016. You can choose to designate a portion of your gift to any registered 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation by filling out the appropriate items on your pledge form or contacting our office at 702-892-2300.
How is our United Way connected to United Way in other cities?
United Way of Southern Nevada is independent and self-governing. The money you contribute stays here to help residents in Southern Nevada. Our local Board of Directors manages the fundraising and distribution of money raised here and assumes responsibility for the integrity and stewardship of our operations.