Tomorrow’s Leaders Stepping Up Today
United Way of Southern Nevada recognizes and applauds the accomplishments and efforts of this dynamic group of young philanthropists. These leaders are passionate about creating lasting change in alignment with United Way’s community-based agenda goals focusing on Education, Health and Financial Stability.
Young Philanthropists Society is a membership group of young financial contributors who are committed through resources and time to give back to their community through philanthropic efforts, advocacy and volunteerism.
Members of the Young Philanthropists Society benefit by increasing their community involvement, understanding the non-profit agenda and engaging in meaningful experiences that will prepare them for community leadership.
To make a difference in children’s lives through volunteerism, mentorship and events by harnessing the energy, commitment and diverse skills sets of the next generation of leaders.
- Young Philanthropists enjoy a full roster of educational, social, and service events designed to help them improve their leadership skills and expand their personal and professional contacts. Business networking, volunteer and social opportunities, recognition in the leadership giving roster and special communications are some of the unique benefits of being a member of the Young Philanthropists Society.
- Lunch with an Executive/Leader: Members network and have lunch with high level business and community leaders.
- Active Community Service and Volunteer Projects: Young Philanthropists and their families come together to provide community service to those in need.
- Networking and Social Events: Members develop personal and professional relationships through a variety of events throughout the year.
YPS In The Community
The “Piggy Bank”
Launched on Oct. 5, 2012, YPS created the “Piggy Bank” program as an innovative, real-world solution to teach the students at Walter Bracken Elementary School how to save and be financially responsible. A collaboration between UWSN, YPS, Walter Bracken Elementary School, Junior Achievement, Silver State Schools Credit Union (SSSCU), Andson Foundation and various volunteers, the “Piggy Bank” program includes financial literacy curriculum and a kid-friendly bank with a bank teller counter, a TV to showcase each classroom’s savings and decals on the walls with money saving tips.
The only program of its kind in Nevada for elementary school children, the “Piggy Bank” helps children to learn how to save and make smart financial decisions at an early age so that growing up they are armed with the knowledge of the importance of saving. The “Piggy Bank” program inspired the children to save over $42,000 from October 2012 to May 2014.
In January 2014, YPS extends this program to more children with the introduction of the second “Piggy Bank” at Hollingsworth Elementary.
YPS has been a long time friend and supporter of Hollingworth Elementary. This year, YPS again will offer the children of the school a very special Holiday Party. Every child will receive an age appropriate gift and will be reminded that someone out there cares about them. YPS will also host monthly birthday parties for children whose birthdays fall in that month. Birthday parties can be an expensive endeavor for families, and as such, YPS has stepped up to ensure every child feels special on their birthday.
Learning Program for children with Down’s Syndrome
This year YPS expands their reach into the community by their partnership with the Down Syndrome Organization of Southern Nevada via the Learning Program, designed to deliver evidence based educational support to children, parents and teachers in the areas of literacy and math. Offered throughout the school year, this program provides additional individualized instruction to children and their caregivers, so that their needs are met and they have the greatest chances for success. YPS’ partnership allows this valuable program to double their capacity and allows for a second age group, 7-8 year olds, to also receive this critical support.
Sports and Nutrition for children
YPS’ commitment to children and their health powers Desert Reign’s Sports and Nutrition Camps for children, expanding current capacity to reach in total over 2500 children in 2014. Camps provide immersion into physical activity and fitness as well as the ABC’s of proper nutrition and healthy eating. These camps aid in helping children succeed cognitively, socially and athletically.
Books & Buddies
A multi-generational reading program that connects all ages to grow the love of reading, Books and Buddies helps facilitate reading and literacy in the home. YPS’ support of this program in conjunction with Spread the Word Nevada allows for expansion of this program to reach an additional 150 at-risk children. Through mentoring, book supplies, and comprehension inquiry, post-test results demonstrate the effectiveness of this important program.
Executive Members ($2,500)
Edward Koijane | Jeffrey D. Mitchell | Robert Murray | Geoff Spataro | 1 Anonymous
General Members ($1,500)
Michael Brown | Monica Habart | Kimberly Hopps | Tom Kovach | Michelle Lindsay | Jill Maradiaga | Christopher Mays | Tim McGovern | Tim Olson | Mathew D. Reid | Scott Savarda | Bridgette Villamor | 1 Anonymous
|Co-Chair Emeritus||Michael Santos|
|Vice Co-Chair||Justin Micatrotto|
|Project Funding Committee Chair||Robert McPeak|
|Membership & Outreach Committee Chair||Jordan Sacca|
|Piggy Bank & Volunteer Committee Chairs||Chelsie Campbell & Justin Micatrotto|
|Leadership and Roundtable Committee Chair||JB Hossler|
|Communication Committee Chair||Tivona Betz|
Become A Young Philanthropist Society Member:
The Young Philanthropists Society is open to professionals who:
- Want to connect and make a difference in their community
- Invest $1,500 minimum annually (general membership) or $2,500 minimum annually (executive membership)
- Volunteer their time and talent
General Membership | Invest minimum $1,500 annually
- Receive listing recognition in the annual United Way HEROES publication
- Eligible to participate as a member of one of the YPS committees
- Eligible to participate in YPS functions
- Act as ambassadors at United Way and YPS functions and events
Executive Committee Membership | Invest $2,500 annually
- Eligible to serve as a co-chair on one of the YPS committees
- Act as hosts at United Way functions and YPS events
- Receive photo and name recognition in the annual United Way HEROES publication
- Receive photo and profile rotating spotlight opportunity on website
- Invited to attend Executive Committee meetings and provide leadership for the direction of YPS
- Receive the opportunity to vote on YPS funding opportunities
The Non-Profit CEO Advisory Council of United Way of Southern Nevada, invites you to a cocktail reception to meet and learn what our southern Nevada legislators and local community leaders are focusing upon for our upcoming 2015 legislative session. Guest speakers for the evening are Assemblywoman Marilyn Kirkpatrick and Senator Michael Roberson. United Way of Southern Nevada 5830 W Flamingo Rd LasContinue Reading
Sponsorship opportunities available. Click for info. Join us for a celebration of our donors and workplace campaigns who support us throughout the year! We are hosting our annual 2014 Community in Blue | Campaign Celebration on Thursday, October 23 from 11:30am – 1:30pm at the Rio All-Suites Hotel & Casino, Brasilia Ballroom. The event celebrates United Way’s recentContinue Reading
- The Piggy Bank- Walter Bracken STEAM Academy | Fridays from 8:15a-10aCalling all YPS members! Come see your dollars in action and help children save at The Piggy Bank! Volunteers help greet the children, hand out stickers and high-fives, and check to make sure that the kids have their deposits ready for the tellers. Please email Hector Lizaola at HectorL@uwsn.org to sign up for a Friday morning from 8:15-10am on the following dates:
September: 19th, 26th
October: 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th
November: 14th, 21st
Do not miss out on this fantastic opportunity to interact with children like Fikreabe, who you are impacting through your YPS membership! When asked what he is saving money for Fikreabe proudly replied, “College! So I can become a doctor.” Fikreabe has saved almost $2,000 in a year. “My parents give me money if I get straight A’s on my progress reports and report cards and when I do chores,” he says. Map & directions to Walter Bracken STEAM Academy here.
- Walter Bracken STEAM Academy Green Apple Day of Service | Saturday, Sept. 27th from 8am-12pmIn the Las Vegas Valley water is a precious resource. Walter Bracken was built over 53 years ago and each outdoor building was designed to be surrounded by grass. Over the past 13 years they have slowly removed the grass and created beautiful gardens that help with educational programs and health and nutrition for the students. There are 3 grass areas left that need to be transformed and water smart. This project day will create additional raised bed gardens in the kindergarten courtyard and replace the grass in the remaining areas at the front of the school. They will need as many helpers as possible and YPS members are invited to register to participate here.
- Desert Reign Sports and Nutrition Camp | Saturday, Oct. 18th from 9am-12pmThe Desert Reign Sports and Nutrition Camp, funded by YPS for the 2014-15 year, stresses fun and teamwork as children improve their sports fundamentals and learn how to live a healthy and active lifestyle. YPS Volunteers can join Desert Reign for the Saturday, October 18th camp from 9:00am to 12:00pm. Come out for all or part of the day to interact with the children you are directly impacting as YPS members. The camp will be held at Ollie Detwiler Elementary School and scheduled activities for the day include sports & fitness activities and nutrition lessons. To sign up for this group volunteer event, please contact Desert Reign Executive Director Bjorn Berg at (702) 985-5255 or firstname.lastname@example.org. A calendar invitation with details will also be sent for your convenience.
- Women’s Leadership Council Annual Suit Drive | Friday, Nov 7th 7a-2pCome out and support your fellow UWSN affinity group, the Women’s Leadership Council at their annual one-day suit drive. The drive collects suits and other business attire for women in need, helping them prepare for career opportunities and gain confidence to succeed during job interviews and in the workplace. Last year’s drive collected more than 7,000 professional items including suits, dresses, shoes, handbags and jewelry. Donations will benefit United Way accredited agencies with back to work programs for women. The suite drive will be held Friday, November 7, 2014, 7a.m. – 2p.m. in the parking lot of NV Energy, located at 6226 W. Sahara Avenue. Come by and donate your professional clothing items, or to volunteer, please contact the WLC Volunteerism Committee Co-chairs:
Rebecca Howell – RHowell@WilmingtonTrust.com
Keri Serano-Long – Keri.Serrano@diamondresorts.com
December 17, 2010- United Way’s Young Philanthropists Society and its Kids & Cops Program Get in the Holiday Spirit with Students at Hollingsworth Elementary School
May 13, 2010- United Way’s Young Philanthropists Society Increases Membership, Funds for Local Community
October 27, 2009- United Way Launches Young Philanthropists Society