What does United Way do?
United Way of Southern Nevada works to build a healthier community and to advance the common good through its focus on Education, Health and Financial Stability, the building blocks of a good life. With an extensive network of donors, volunteers and community leaders, United Way brings together the passion, expertise and resources needed to affect positive change in our community. Together, person by person,United Way’s collective power is building a more solid community fabric, connecting impassioned advocates who truly LIVE UNITED for a better southern Nevada. In Southern Nevada, we help 1 in 4 people living in this community. By giving, advocating or volunteering, your efforts support our programs in health, education or financial stability or can go to 70 accredited agencies or any 501c3 of your choosing.
How does United Way help my own local neighborhood and community?
United Way’s programs reach into nearly every neighborhood, and support many different populations. By reaching nearly 1 in 4 people in this community and given the breadth of our programs, it’s likely that United Way of Southern Nevada has helped a friend, neighbor, or co-worker.
- We support 35 Preschool Child Development Centers across the Valley, both in the city and suburbs offering all children a quality preschool education
- We support 5 High School Family Engagement and Resource Centers across the Valley, fostering a stronger home-school connection for kids
- We support 18 Preschool Family Engagement Resource Centers across the Valley.
- Through TAPS, we offer scholarship tuition assistance through 35 schools to more than 1300 families pledging 100 hours of time to more effectively foster the parent-child connection in academics
- Through our free tax preparation sites, we prepared more than 26,000 individual and family tax returns, returning $34.4M in tax refunds back into the Southern Nevada economy.
- Our 2-1-1 hotline provides those in need with a myriad of opportunities, support and resources, no matter the need, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Through our health programs, we have provided hundreds of children preventative dental care.
- More than 103,000 children received immunizations and more than 21,000 children have found a medical home, allowing them to stay in school and stay healthier.
- Thousands of Volunteers and volunteer hours have supplied need and manpower to get critical work done.
How can I contribute money to United Way?
Thank you for joining the cause. Your employer may conduct a workplace campaign where you can make a contribution each year. You can donate online, or please call United Way at (702) 892-2300 to find out how you can help.
Why should I give to United Way rather than directly to an agency?
Community fundraising costs would more than double if every agency had to raise the funds United Way provides. By supporting our Community Impact Fund, your dollars go where the need is greatest at that time. Giving through United Way reduces costly and time-consuming fund raising efforts for the smaller agencies so that they can put their efforts into the community work. Our nearly 70 accredited agencies go through the accredidation process to ensure that you, the donor, are having your desires met through fiscally responsible and results achieving organizations.
How can I volunteer my time to help others?
United Way’s Community Engagement Team can help design a life changing volunteer opportunity. With over 6000 volunteers, and year round activities, we can connect you with a project or cause that is meaningful to you, your department, corporation, or convention. Visit us at Volunteer Center or call 702-892-2300. Thank you for helping someone who needs you.
What if I feel pressured to give?
Contributions to United Way are voluntary and your personal decision. We do not support any form of pressure on donors to give or requirements regarding how much to give.
Are United Way donations tax-deductible?
United Way of Southern Nevada is a federally registered 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation. As such, donations to the United Way are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by an individual’s or corporation’s circumstances. Those contributing through payroll deduction in their workplace should keep a copy of their signed pledge card and maintain their last pay stub of the tax year or Form W-2 from their employer that summarizes the amount withheld for the United Way during their tax year. In the event that goods or services of more than a nominal value are received in exchange for a gift (such as buying an auction item), only the donation in excess of the value of the good or service is considered to be tax deductible. Donors are encouraged to consult their own tax professionals to determine the extent to which their donations are tax-deductible in their own circumstances.
Why isn’t my favorite agency a United Way member?
Many worthwhile agencies that help people may not meet United Way guidelines. Each agency must apply for admission and go through a formal review process by community volunteers. Some agencies may not want the level of review or restrictions in fundraising that are required by United Way. Others may feel they can raise enough funds on their own.
How is our United Way connected to United Way in other cities?
United Way of Southern Nevada is independent and self-governing. The money you contribute stays here to help residents in Southern Nevada. We are not connected to other United Ways except through “best practices” sharing with United Way Worldwide in Alexandria, Virginia. Our local Board of Directors manages the fundraising and distribution of money raised here and assumes responsibility for the integrity and stewardship of our operations.