Propelling children forward with academic certainty…
In our local community and in alignment with United Way’s national goals, United Way of Southern Nevada is committed to securing more academic opportunity for all children, engaging families in their children’s academic journey to ensure a lifetime of success, and increasing teacher’s skills and proficiencies for greater pupil-student engagement and learning.
Please watch our video:
To help all children enter school ready to learn, to move through school with confidence, be career ready at graduation, so that they happily and positively contribute to the local workforce.
All children enter school at grade level or above, consistently close the achievement gap and demonstrate proficiency in reading, math and literacy by third grade.
- Increase the percentage of child care providers with access to quality professional development.
- Increase the percentage of children with access to quality preschool programs.
- Increase the percentage of families with access to family engagement training, activities and support systems to enable students to graduate.
Driving Results that Allow Children to Thrive (2010 – 2013)
• More than 35,000 high school students and their families have received information, support and resources to increase on-time graduation
• More than 64,000 hours of professional development have been deployed, strengthening the skill base and competency of early childhood educators
• More than 18,000 pre-K students and their families have participated in family engagement workshops, contributing to more confident, healthier and happier families
• More than 1,000 kids were given preschool scholarships, helping to get students off to a strong start with a solid academic foundation
Enrollment in quality early childhood education programs improves student performance all the way through on-time high school graduation by building a solid foundation for a lifetime of learning.