This time of year is always exciting for our Women’s Leadership Council. Thank you to the Annual Luncheon Committee, UWSN staff and all who helped make another luncheon successful! Held on Friday, February 20th, at the Four Seasons Hotel, this year we honored the achievement of leading women in our community including Sandy Miller, Commitment to Education Award; Kathleen Decker, Commitment to Financial Stability Award; Dr. Trina Wiggins, Commitment to Health Award; and Chelsie Campbell, Commitment to Volunteerism Award.
Please join Rhonda and me in welcoming our seven new members who joined at the luncheon:
- Emily Wofford – Caesars
- Vijaya Poluri – Quivx
- Rosemary Missisian-Serru – Weinberg,Wheeler, Hudgins, Gunn & Deal, LLC
- Sallie Doebler – Korte Company
- Michelle Chatigny – Gaming Compliance Advisors, LLC
- MJ Maynard – RTC
- Annie Chang Evans – Summerlin Wealth
We’ve also reached the third quarter of our fiscal year. Our WLC funded projects are well underway and achieving exciting outcomes.
Mid-year highlights include:
- Nearly 2,000 books distributed to elementary schools through Breakfast with Books with Spread the Word Nevada
- Over 85 hours of certified teacher homework help provided in the first three weeks of the school year to students in need through Las Vegas Clark County Library District
- Over 200 pediatric well, sick, specialty, and immunization clinic visits by children, ages Pre K – 12 grades served by Volunteers in Medicine
- Sponsorship of 80 girls, ages 8 – 10 who completed the health habits coaching program and successfully completed the November Girls on the Run 5K
- Through the Women’s Development Center, 375 families to date received training and information on obtaining or retaining affordable housing; 233 families to date enrolled in programs to create a livable budget and improve their understanding of financial concepts
- Monica and Leslie our scholarship recipients attending their first year at UNLV were models and Monica spoke at the Luncheon Fashion Show. They will be attending other future events.
The Project Funding Committee will begin meeting in April to review these project goals and outcomes and begin the process for the next fiscal year. For associated project volunteer opportunities, please see the WLC Meeting and Events Calendar.
WLC Executive Committee member Robyn Caspersen has been instrumental in our Project Funding Committee. With her United Way of Southern Nevada and WLC committee service, along with her accomplished professional experience as a senior audit partner with Deloitte, we are thrilled that Robyn has accepted the WLC Vice Chair position. Robyn is a long-time contributor to and volunteer with United Way. Robyn is a member of UWSN’s Tocqueville Society, serving on its Steering Committee, and is also a member of several United Way Councils including the Accreditation Council and Financial Stability Council. Please join me and Rhonda in welcoming Robyn to the WLC Vice Chair position.
Be sure to mark your calendars for these upcoming events:
- April 2 , 6:30pm – 8:30pm – Spread the Word Nevada, Volunteer Opportunity, 1065 American Pacific Drive, Suite 60, Henderson, NV 89074
- April 8, 5pm – 7pm – WLC Wednesday, – Tutu making Party for Girls on the Run at United Way offices
- April 14, 7:30 am – 8:45am – Breakfast with Books, Dean Petersen Elementary School
- April 26, 7:00 am – 11:00 am Girls on the Run 5K Kellogg-Zaher Soccer Complex/Summerlin
Rhonda and I are so grateful for the hard work of all of our WLC Committees. Thank you for your leadership and commitment.
Rhonda and Angel